Affinity is an award-winning provider of technology and digital communication solutions, specialising in software development for today’s needs and tomorrow’s dreams. We work in web, CGI and app development - most often a combination of all three.
Your next step...
How about taking the next step in your software career whilst staying in Cornwall?
Be part of one of the most exciting tech companies in Cornwall. You can't ignore the life work mix when you work in Cornwall; in fact our staff forget the work life balance and mix it up instead... Affinity appreciate that people are ditching the idea of balancing life and work in favour of simply blending it all together. This work ethic is exactly what Affinity is looking for in our staff. We run a relaxed but professional office, even when it comes to our table tennis tournaments....
Please contact Jonathan Duval on 07739 362472 or use the form below. We are open to flexible working hours and conditions, though you must be based in our Truro office...
About Affinity Digital
Affinity is a digital web agency that has been successfully operating since it was founded in January 2004 (winning best new business of the year at the 2005 CBAs). It has grown steadily since inception with a multi-sector focus. The company remains independently owned and has no borrowings.
Affinity’s current client base comprises a mix of both public and private sector organisations and includes some exceptional leaders in their respective fields, e.g. The Timpson Group, The Cabinet Office, The Royal Brompton & Harefield Hospitals NHS Trust and Taunton Deane Borough Council.
We remain technology agnostic but we have gained in-depth experience with a number of leading open-source packages (specifically Magento, Drupal and WordPress). We have resisted the offer of becoming a technology partner to any one single provider or platform. This way, we do not have any reseller targets to meet and are able to remain unbiased in our recommendations and technology choices when architecting solutions.
In a market where project delivery can sometimes be problematic, Affinity’s partnership approach and proven project management methodologies (incorporating both Agile and Waterfall depending on the client’s preferences) has had a notable success rate and gained a reputation which it will build upon to maximise its growth.
We relish a project with a significant problem-solving dimension, a solution that needs a different angle to make it compelling and usable. We like to immerse ourselves in the discovery process with our clients, looking at every angle that helps to deliver the right information to the right people in an engaging way.
Overview of the role
We need someone who will bring energy and drive to the role. Self-motivated and with a can-do attitude, he or she will be looked upon to use creative problem-solving, coupled with significant experience working with WordPress.
If successful you will be part of an agile development team, building and maintaining customer web presences using WordPress, SQL and PHP, utilising various services and open source tools. You will suport exisitng solutions and help continually improve them through work packages. Ideal candidates will have experience integrating WordPress, tuning and improving WordPress implementations and enjoy fast-paced, challenging and real-time problem solving.
You will be working on a number of high profile accounts following a TDD process ensuring that everything is completed to the highest level from design patterns, web security and application performance. Custom plugin development experience would be desirable together with a working knowledge of GIT.
Other essential qualities include good attention to detail, and the ability to pick up new information quickly which you can then apply strategically and intelligently.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate all of these qualities through their experience in previous roles and will have a track record of delivering projects successfully in a commercial context.
1. Undertake software support and development, research and testing as directed by the senior developer or project manager.
2. Attend project meetings as requested by the project manager or senior developer.
3. Record time spent on each project on a day by day basis to the required level of detail
4. Remain current regarding changes in relevant technology and systems to ensure that technical knowledge is up to date.
The perfect candidate:
– Great communication skills, verbally and in writing
– Ability to deliver your work on time and in accordance with project milestones
– Collaborate with project managers, designers and other developers
– Attention to detail and the ability to thoroughly test your work
– Love for sharing and learning, contributing to the growth of the development team
– A passion for the digital world and urge to join an exciting, fun, hard-working team
Ideal skills, not limited to:
– HTML5, CSS3, Sass
– PHP & MySQL
– Custom WordPress theme & plugin development
– Responsive/mobile web development
– RESTful APIs
– Version control (GIT)
– Strong communication skills, including client facing
– Ability to work as a team and autonomously
– Attention to detail and ability to work under pressure
– Commercially aware
Useful experience for the role:
- Enterprise experience with either government or the private sector
- Front end frameworks (Vue.js, React etc)
- Gutenberg editor
- Continuous integration (Jenkins or others)